I miss dessert. I miss brownies, cheesecake and ice cream. It’s been a while since I’ve indulged in any of these in a restaurant, not because I’ve been on some crazy, anti-deliciousness diet, but because it is simply impossible to stuff any more food down my throat following one of the enormous meals that are being served in restaurants nowadays.
- Two Slices of Pizza – 70% Increase
- Cup of Coffee – 633% Increase
- Movie Popcorn – 133% Increase
- Bagels – 150% Increase
- Cheeseburgers – 77% Increase
Along with their sizes, restaurant meal prices have also shot up. From 1987 to 2007 the cost of a McDonald’s hamburger went from $.62 to $.89, a 44% increase.
These changes have been hard on both American’s waistlines and their pocketbooks; not to mention our pensions for desserts. The so-called value meal touts more bang for your buck, but only if you shell out a little more buck. Who asked for more bang? Maybe the bang-to-buck ratio was just fine.
I’m always looking for ways to save money, and calories for that matter. Fortunately, for every problem there is a solution. In this case, there are many solutions.
- Appetizers – not only are they cheaper, they are frequently finger food. I for one have always loved to eat with my hands.
- The Kids Menu – it’s not always chicken fingers and mac ‘n’ cheese, many restaurants offer child-sized-portions of other meals off their menus. Honestly, I’m a huge mac-n-cheeser myself. And no, you don’t always have to be a kid to get these deals. It never hurts to ask.
- Split It –find a food soul-mate and split one of those too-big meals. Unfortunately, I can’t do this with Husband, the man hates cheese for crying out loud. Who hates cheese?!
- The Dollar Menu – be warned, this will not work if you order 10 items.
- Eat at a Restaurant with a Menu Section Dedicated to Smaller, Cheaper Portions -here are a few that I’ve found:
Red Robin – Best Kept Secret: The Petite Burger
Their menu is huge, literally, so it’s no wonder most people don’t see the line where you can order any of their burgers in a smaller size for a cheaper price.
California Pizza Kitchen – Small Cravings Menu
Chili’s – Bottomless Express Lunch
Cheesecake Factory – Small Plates & Snacks
Quiznos – Sammie’s
T.G.I. Fridays – Right Portion, Right Price
Olive Garden – Garden Fare
PF Changs – Starters/Small Plates
If you have a favorite restaurant with petite portions, share it; unless you like eating alone…
Article publié pour la première fois le 02/09/2010